October is open enrollment month for health insurance, dental insurance, and accidental insurance coverage like Aflac. Accidents happen and it isn’t always something that we can prepare for. The great thing about Aflac it helps cover life’s accidents and mishaps even maternity benefits if you get the coverage. I remember getting into my very first car accident like it was yesterday. My daughter was sick so I was on my way to take her to the doctor’s office when I was rear ended. The light had just turned green and traffic was slow to move so I had to stop a bit quick. The car behind me was following too closely and slammed into the back of my SUV. I remember looking up in my rear view mirror right before it happened. I am pretty sure that I hit my head on the steering wheel because I blacked out for a moment.
I didn’t go to the doctor right away because I wasn’t hurting yet. But as the day progressed, I ended up driving myself to the ER a bit later that evening. They started me on some muscle relaxers and pain medication after taking a few x-rays. After several years, they never really did figure out what was wrong with my back. Fast forward to 10 years later, after moving into our new house I was doing some work in the yard and noticed that my back started hurting so bad. I had to go back to the doctor for more x-rays and an MRI. They said that I had a bulging disc at L5-S1 and wanted to try a variety of treatments to see if they would help. At this point, I have been out of work for 3 years now. I was forced out of my job and due to my chronic back pain/fibromyalgia I am unable to hold down a typical job outside of the home.
Today, I want to make sure that you and your family are protected. Did you know that 1 and 4 people will become disabled before they are able to retire? Here are a few ways to protect you and your family today:
Start an Emergency Fund – Savings Account
Invest in a Short-Term Disability Policy
Invest in a Long-Term Disability Policy
Check With a Financial Adviser Before Cashing in Your Retirement Funds
Save Your Tax Refund Check
- Critical Care Insurance – Helps cover costs associated with medical issues from a stroke or heart attack.
- Accident Insurance – Great for parents who have accident prone children or those that play sports.
- Cancer Insurance – Help covers the cost associate with cancer.
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance – This plan helps cover the cost of inpatient expenses that aren’t covered by your major medical insurance.
- Life Insurance – A life insurance policy can leave you feeling satisfied knowing that your family has enough money to cover unexpected expenses that are related if someone passes away.
- Disability Insurance – I mentioned the two types of policies in detail above. Having a short or long term disability plan can protect you in the event that you can’t work for an extended period of time or you become totally disabled. It can be very difficult to get Social Security disability.
Photo Credit: Pixabay
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.