- Pour mixed vegetables and okra (optional) into a large pot. I use a 6 quart dutch over.
- Then add two can of diced tomatoes and 4 cans of tomato sauce.
- Add water (I usually add 4 of the small cans of water so that I can rinse out the remaining sauce).
- Stir the mixture and turn on high heat.
- Brown hamburger meat in a separate pan.
- Drain grease from hamburger meat using a colander.
- Add hamburger meat to the soup mixture.
- Add parsley flakes and garlic salt as desired. (I add enough to flavor the soup and add more garlic to a served bowl to my desired taste)
- Add more water so that the pot is full.
- Stir the soup to mix the hamburger mean into the soup mixture.
- Boil until your vegetables are soft.
- In a separate pot, boil elbow macaroni until desired tenderness.
- Drain and return the macaroni to the pot.
- Add a small amount of macaroni to the bottom of soup bowl.
- Serve soup over macaroni or serve soup by itself.
- Allow the soup to cool off before serving to young children. (I add an ice cube to help cool it off faster).
This soup can be served with grilled cheese sandwiches or it can be a complete meal. I usually serve the soup to my children without the macaroni.
I hope that you enjoy this recipe and you are welcome to share it as long as you give me proper credit for this recipe.
What is your favorite comfort food during the winter months?