Avoid Using these Motions While Hand Expressing Breast Milk
- Don’t squeeze the breast. Instead hold the breasts gently while using the downward motion used to express breast milk. This will avoid bruising on your breasts.
- Don’t pull on the breast or nipple. Doing so many cause unseen damage to your breast tissue.
- Avoid sliding your hand on your breasts, this can cause your skin to burn similar to a rug burn.
Tips for Expressing Breast Milk
- Find a comfortable chair.
- Allow yourself at least 20-30 minutes.
- Hold a picture of your baby to help trigger milk let down.
Catching Expressed Breast Milk
If you planning on using the breast milk that you are expressing, you should use a sterile bowl or container. The best container for this method is a wide mouthed container. Once you have finished expressing the breast milk, transfer the milk into a sealed bottle or storage bags designed to store breast milk.
When Should I Hand Express?
Hand expression is great for mother’s who exclusively breastfeed and don’t need to express breast milk on a regular basis. If you have to pump multiple times a day or for an extended amount of time, you might want to invest in a breast pump. Hand expression is great for:
- Relieving occasional engorgement
- Drawing out flat or inverted nipples
- To unclog a milk duct
- Relieve symptoms of mastitis
Video Demonstration of the Marmet Hand Expression Technique
To get weekly updates to Uplifting Families, please subscribe to my newsletter or join in the conversation with me on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and G+.
Have you ever had to manually express breast milk?