Swimming Pool Safety Tips to Keep You and Your Family Safe This Summer
Here are a few pool safety tips for you and your family if you plan on purchasing a swimming pool or already have one:
- Get every member of the family, including toddlers, swimming lessons so that they can learn how to swim.
- Parents should learn Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) this could save your child’s life. It may take a few minutes before Emergency Services to arrive to your house and doing CPR on your child may save his or her life.
- If your child wants to swim or play in the water, always keep a close eye on them.
- Parents should never be distracted while watching their child play in or around water.
- If you have a pool, always fence it off.
- Do use automatic latching devices on the gate.
- Do buy a fence that is over 4 feet tall so that your child can’t climb over the fence and get into the pool.
- Always add a lock to the fence latch so that children can’t access the pool. This way children are unable to open the latch when they aren’t allow to swim.
- Never allow your child to swim alone.
- If your child uses a flotation device, always use a US Coastguard Approved life jacket.
- Any adult that plans on swimming should avoid alcohol or drugs that impair judgement.
- Teach your child not to hyperventilate or panic if they accidentally fall into the water or before swimming underwater.
- Teach your child not to hold their breath under water for long periods of time, it can cause your child to pass out.
- Never play with life saving equipment, it is for emergency use only.
- Do keep a phone handy by the pool so that you can call 911 in the event of an emergency.
For pool builders Australia, and for more helpful tips for safety pools, visit Premier pools.
Do you enjoy swimming with your family during the summer months?