15 Ways to Protect Your Home and Family from Burglary
Use these tips to help secure your home and protect your family from intruders:
- Always double check to make sure that your windows and doors are locked, especially, if you have a teenager(who thinks that you don’t know that they are sneaking out of the house at night). Do check the windows and doors before you leave home and before you go to bed at night.
- A dog can help alert you that strangers are around. They also can help protect your home and yard from intruders, especially, a dog that likes to bark. A constant barking dog is a great way to draw the attention of you or your neighbors. Adding a beware of dog sign on your fence can help protect your back yard. While out of town, only allow people who you trust to come inside of your home to care for your pets.
- Never hide a key to your house under a mat or where someone can potentially find it.
- Do participate in a neighborhood watch groups and have signs installed in your neighborhood.
- Do call the police if you see something that is out of place or doesn’t seem right.
- Planting thorny bushes or cactus plants under windows can deter thieves from these potential point of entries into your home.
- Keep bushes and shrubs trimmed back to prevent thieves from finding a hiding place on your property.
- Always lock the door when you leave your home, even if it is for a short period of time.
- If you have a garage door opener that has a keypad, do choose a code that isn’t easy to guess and change it frequently to avoid worn keys that would give away your password.
- Hide or lock up ladders and tools so that thieves don’t use them to get into your home.
- Never open the door to a stranger who wants to use your phone. Instead, you make the phone call for them.
- Do take pictures and record serial numbers on all of your valuables such as computers, televisions, dvd players, ect.
- Keep you purse, wallets, money jars, and other valuables out of plain site. If possible, lock them up in a safe deposit box.
- Install dead bolt locks on all exterior doors.
- Install or replace any broken window locks.
How do you protect your home and family from burglary?