My husband was planning on getting some dental work done on his teeth and his dentist recommend him to get a water flosser to help him maintain good dental hygiene. I was presented with an opportunity to review the Gurin Professional Water Flosser and I couldn’t wait to test it out. I have always wanted to have one of these growing up because I never liked using dental floss on my teeth. Every time I use dental floss, it always ends up irritating my gums and made them bleed or made them sore for a few days.
I have learned the hard way as an adult that it is very important to take care of my teeth. I have had a few cavities in my lifetime and need several root canals in the near future. I have a feeling that I will eventually have to get crowns on several of my teeth because I grind my teeth at night. After doing some research, it is a common for chronic pain patients to grind their teeth in their sleep due to being in pain 24/7.
So if you have children, it is very important that you start teaching your kids proper dental hygiene at a very young age and most pediatricians even recommend that you start taking care of their teeth long before their baby teeth emerge. Simply use a wet wash cloth to clean your baby’s gums. Once your child’s teeth start emerging, you can start brushing their teeth using plain water and a soft tooth brush. It is important that you don’t use regular tooth paste until your child is old enough to be able to spit it out. It can be dangerous if they end up swallowing too much fluoride.
Benefits of Using a Water Flosser
- It reduces your chances of developing periodontal infections. The slow pulsing action on the water flosser helps push the bacteria out of the pockets between your teeth.
- If your gums are irritated, the water flosser will help reduce the inflammation. However, you shouldn’t expect to see overnight results but over the course of several months the water pulsating on your teeth will help push the bacteria out of the pockets between your teeth and will flush it out of your mouth. The bacteria is a breeding ground for infection and dental decay so it is important to brush and use the water flosser several times a day.
- Diabetics are prone to having dental problems like gingivitis and periodontal disease. Adding a water flosser to your morning and nightly routine, will help reduce your chances of having problems with your gums.
- If you have dental implants or have had major dental work done on your mouth, you will have to take excellent care of your teeth so that you don’t get an infection, have problems with your implants, or get gum disease.
- If your teenager ends up getting braces or has other appliances put into their mouth to help move their teeth, they will need to use a water flosser to help clean places that a tooth brush or dental floss can’t reach.
- The water flosser is more effictive than using a tooth brush, mouth wash, and dental floss. The stream of water can remove things that you can’t see.
- It also reaches deeper into the pockets than using regular dental floss.
Gurin Professional Water Flosser – My Thoughts and Opinions
I tested this water flosser out this afternoon and I am very impressed. I purposely didn’t brush my teeth prior to using the flosser because I wanted to give my honest opinion and felt that I could give a better opinion with dirty teeth. I actually even at a piece of sticky candy and some yogurt with oreos an hour before my test. I charged the flosser while I wrote the top portion of this post which was roughly 30 minutes before I tested it. I love that it is cordless and it has three different settings. The three settings are: high, soft, and pulse. I started on the pulse feature and had to move it to the soft setting because it was a bit too intense for my mouth.
After using the water flossesr, I noticed that my teeth felt cleaner (it actually removed some plague that I had on my teeth) and the stream of water felt good on my gums. It felt like a mouth massage. I did notice that it made my gums bleed a little bit but like I said earlier that I needed to work on my own personal dental hygiene. The water tank on it is a bit small but it is easy to refill if you need to use more than one tank of water for your session.
What comes in the box:
- Water flosser
- Two picks
- Instruction Manual
If you have hard water like I do, I would suggest using bottled water to help prevent it from clogging up with hard water deposits.
As a first time user, I did make a huge mess while using the flosser and had to clean the mirror afterwards. It is also pretty loud but I can deal with that if it means that I reduce my chances of getting gum or periodontal disease.
You can purchase the Gurin Professional Water on [amazon_link id=”B00ACBKP02″ target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”]Amazon[/amazon_link].
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
Have you tried using a water flosser instead of dental floss?