A diaper bag is an absolute must have when you have a baby. In fact, there were several times when my children were very young that their diaper bag also became my purse. I would toss my wallet and a few essential items into the diaper bag so that I would only have to carry one bag when I was out and about with my baby. I found that carrying a purse and a diaper bag was way too much to handle with a baby, stroller, blanket, and a diaper bag. Diaper bags come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colors, so most mom’s can find one that they are comfortable carrying around and could double as a purse too.
Many mom’s often wonder what they should carry in their diaper bag, especially, first time mom’s. I remember packing these items in my daughter’s diaper bag when I was pregnant with her(she was my first child). I had a general idea on what items that I would need to carry in the diaper bag for my baby because my younger sisters were born a few year earlier and my mom always seemed to have it together.
What Items Should I Have in my Baby’s Diaper Bag?
Some of the items seem like they would be common sense; however, as a mom I made mistakes and sometimes forgot to make sure that the bag was restocked before leaving the house. Here is a list of items that you could find in my child’s diaper bag:
- diaper rash cream
- changing mat – great for protecting your back seat during an emergency diaper change or in public restrooms
- change of clothes – if your caught without a change of clothes you might have to buy your child new clothes while you are out and about, in fact, I actually had to do this with my first child
- plastic bags – this is a great way to recycle those grocery bags because you can wrap up soiled clothes or place a dirty diaper in it if there isn’t a trash can handy.
- gas drops
- nail clippers
- blanket or nursing cover – a blanket is a must have if your nursing
- extra pacifiers
- bottle/water/formula if your child isn’t breastfed
- baby food/spoon for an older toddler
- burp clothes
- sippy cup for your older baby
This is a basic list of things that you may need while you are out and about with your baby. As you can see, this is a pretty lengthy list.