A diaper bag is an absolute must have when you have a baby. In fact, there were several times when my children were very young that their diaper bag also became my purse. I would toss my wallet and a few essential items into the diaper bag so that I would only have to carry one bag when I was out and about with my baby. I found that carrying a purse and a diaper bag was way too much to handle with a baby, stroller, blanket, and a diaper bag. Diaper bags come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and colors, so most mom’s can find one that they are comfortable carrying around and could double as a purse too.
Disclosure: All opinions reflected in this post are my own and may differ from your own.
Many mom’s often wonder what they should carry in their diaper bag, especially, first time mom’s. I remember packing these items in my daughter’s diaper bag when I was pregnant with her(she was my first child). I had a general idea on what items that I would need to carry in the diaper bag for my baby because my younger sisters were born a few year earlier and my mom always seemed to have it together.
What Items Should I Have in my Baby’s Diaper Bag?
Some of the items seem like they would be common sense; however, as a mom I made mistakes and sometimes forgot to make sure that the bag was restocked before leaving the house. Here is a list of items that you could find in my child’s diaper bag:
- diaper rash cream
- changing mat – great for protecting your back seat during an emergency diaper change or in public restrooms
- change of clothes – if your caught without a change of clothes you might have to buy your child new clothes while you are out and about, in fact, I actually had to do this with my first child
- plastic bags – this is a great way to recycle those grocery bags because you can wrap up soiled clothes or place a dirty diaper in it if there isn’t a trash can handy.
- gas drops
- nail clippers
- blanket or nursing cover – a blanket is a must have if your nursing
- extra pacifiers
- bottle/water/formula if your child isn’t breastfed
- baby food/spoon for an older toddler
- burp clothes
- sippy cup for your older baby
This is a basic list of things that you may need while you are out and about with your baby. As you can see, this is a pretty lengthy list.
What item do you always make sure that you have in your baby’s diaper bag?